M-Pesa is one of Kenya’s biggest achievements and a success story of how the service revolutionized money transfer and financial inclusion. As a Kenyan freelancer the possibility is now even bigger after the partnership with PayPal
Here are the frequently asked questions and answers
What is M-PESA PayPal?
This is a Service offered to M-PESA customers by Transfer To in partnership with Safaricom and PayPal.
Who can use the service?
This service is only offered to users in Kenya with registered M-PESA accounts, Google accounts and Android devices.
How do I withdraw to M-PESA?
The Withdraw Service from PayPal allows you to withdraw funds from your PayPal account to your linked qualifying M-PESA account.
- Log on to your PayPal account and Select Withdraw. (Your available balance will be displayed.)
- Note that you will only be able to withdraw up to the available USD balance amount in your PayPal Account
- Enter amount to withdraw from your PayPal Account in USD and click ‘withdraw’
- You will be redirected to a page showing the amount to be received in KES, exchange rate used for the currency conversion and an estimation of the transaction processing time
- Click ‘Confirm’ to confirm and complete the Withdraw Transaction.
How do I top up the account?
The top up service to PayPal allows you to top up funds from your qualifying M-PESA account to your linked PayPal account to shop online or make payments with PayPal.
- Log on to the M-PESA PayPal web page (link) and select Top Up funds
- Enter the amount to top up in USD and click ‘calculate’ to get the equal converted amount in Kes. to be transferred from your M-PESA account. (Exchange rate used will be displayed on the same page)
- Go to your M-PESA menu and Select ‘Lipa na M-PESA’ then ‘Pay Bill’ option
- Enter Business no. 800088
- Enter your phone number as Account No.
- Enter the Amount in Kes.
- Enter your M-PESA PIN and Send
Do I have to create an account to use this service?
Yes. You need to have a registered PayPal and M-PESA accounts. To registers a PayPal account visit (www.paypal.com) and to register for M-PESA, visit any M-PESA agent outlet across Kenya.
To link your M-PESA account to your PayPal account, visit www.m-pesapaypal.com
How do I link my M-PESA Account to PayPal? (Existing PayPal Accounts)
Enter your primary PayPal Account’s email address
Enter the phone number registered for M-PESA
Accept terms and conditions
Enter the 4-digit confirmation code sent from Safaricom to the mobile number associated with your M-PESA account and click to confirm.
How do I link my M-PESA Account to PayPal? (New PayPal Accounts)
Visit the PayPal website at www.paypal.com then click on ‘Sign Up’ top right of the page and follow instructions.
- Log in to your PayPal Account
Enter your M-PESA account phone numbe
Accept terms and condition
Enter the 4-digit confirmation code sent from Safaricom to the mobile number associated with your M-PESA account.
What charges will apply for Withdrawal/Top up Service?
For withdrawal – 3% of the amount converted from USD to Kes.
Top up – 4% of the amount you are sending to your PayPal account
Normal M-PESA charges apply for all other transactions
How long does it take to receive funds after withdrawal?
The funds will be processed to your M-PESA account in 2 hours to 3 calendar days after transaction confirmation depending on the value of the transaction.
How do I know when the funds have been credited to my account?–
You will receive a confirmation SMS from M-PESA and an email from PayPal.
What is the maximum amount I can withdraw or Top Up?
Current M-PESA transaction limits apply. (Kes. 70,000 per transaction and Kes. 140,000 per day.)